There is no general known cause but these are the main theories:
- A way to relieve stress or anxiety.
- Chemical imbalance in the brain
- Genetics (often it will run in families)
- Lack of serotonin (a feel good chemical)
- Changes in hormones (such as puberty or pregnancy)
There is no perfect cure for TTM but there are treatments available and while the urges don’t always stop, people do become ‘pull free’. These are some of the options available:
Information based on: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/trichotillomania/Pages/introduction.aspx